1. What is the date of my first blog post on SpeechUniverse.blogspot.com? November 24, 2012
2. I live in Michigan. Which university did I go to for my undergraduate degree? Western Michigan University
3. I left Michigan for a couple of years to go to grad school. Where did I go? Northern Arizona University
4. On my TpT store (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Jennifer-Shamberger), all of my book companions focus on which skill? Phonemic Awareness
5. What is the name of my most recent paid product? (Hint: look at the banner at the top of my store.) No Frills Articulation Bundle
1. What does AAC stand for? Augmentative and Alternative Communication
2. Name the well-known AAC user who wrote A Brief History of Time. Stephen Hawking
3. Name a high tech AAC device. Dynavox, GoTalk, iPad with communication apps, or any other high tech device.
4. What does PECS stand for? Picture Exchange Communication System
5. True or False: Augmentative communication adds to the spoken communication a person already has, while alternative communication replaces spoken communication. True
Round Three1. What is a group of developmental disabilities that can cause significant social, communication, and behavioral challenges. Autism Spectrum Disorders
2. What is the most recent data on the prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders? 1 in 88 children, however I have also seen 1 in 50 posted.
3. This professor at Colorado State University was the subject of an award winning biographical film that focused on her life with Autism. What is her name? Temple Grandin
4. Name two “red flags” that may indicate that a child is at risk for an autism spectrum disorder. Two of the following:
Impairment in Social Interaction:
- Lack of appropriate eye gaze
- Lack of warm, joyful expressions
- Lack of sharing interest or enjoyment
- Lack of response to name
Impairment in Communication:
- Lack of showing gestures
- Lack of coordination of nonverbal communication
- Unusual prosody
(little variation in pitch, odd intonation, irregular rhythm,
unusual voice quality)
Repetitive Behaviors & Restricted Interests:
- Repetitive movements with objects
- Repetitive movements or posturing of body, arms, hands, or fingers
Wetherby, A., Woods, J., Allen, L., Cleary, J., Dickinson, H., & Lord, C. (2004). Early indicators of autism spectrum disorders in the second year of life. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 34, 473-493. Based on research at the Florida State University FIRST WORDS® Project.
5. True or False: Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism. True
***If I did not have enough entries with all five correct, I gave the prize to the entrants who had five correct, and then used random.org for the remaining entries that had at least four correct.
Thanks so much for participating!